Master’s of Education in Teaching English
Program Description: International students who are interested in receiving a Master’s level degree in education with a focus on teaching English as a foreign language can take KAFU’s 1-year Master’s of Education in Teaching English program. All courses in the program are taught in English. The program benefits include:
- Full enrollment in KAFU’s 1-year Master’s in Education in Teaching English Program. All courses are taught in English;
- Enrollment in one foreign language class (required), with a choice of Russian, Kazakh, German, Spanish, French or Turkish;
- Enrollment in a 6-week English teaching internship.
Curriculum: The program requires the following two subjects:
- Modern methodology for foreign language education
- Foreign language (choice of Russian, Kazakh, German, Spanish, French or Turkish)
The program requires an additional four elective subjects chosen from the following:
- History and philosophy of science
- Professional English (for native English speakers, an alternative professional language course can be chosen)
- Nature and function of higher education
- Curriculum and syllabus design
- Knowledge assessment
- Cross-cultural communication
- Communicative and cognitive approach in teaching foreign languages
- Comparative typology of English and a native language
- Corpus-based linguistics
Along with this coursework, students must engage in research and prepare and defend a Master’s level thesis or project.
Cost: $1,500 for one year, not including living, visa and travel expenses.
Application requirements and process: International students interested in studying in the Master’s of Education in Teaching English program must have a Bachelor’s Degree in any field from an accredited university in their country. Students must also be able to pass language proficiency exams, demonstrating at least an advanced-intermediate level of English (this does not apply to students from English speaking countries).
Schedule: This program is run each academic year, from September 1 to May 31. Students who are able to complete their coursework and teaching internship prior to May 31 are free to return to their home country to complete their research and the writing of their thesis or project paper. This thesis/project paper can often be defended on-line over the Internet and does not require returning to Kazakhstan.
Academic credit: International students who successfully complete the Master’s of Education in Teaching English program will receive a Master’s of Education in Teaching English degree from KAFU, which is fully accredited by the Ministry of Education of Kazakhstan and Institutional and specialized accreditation IQAA. Students will also receive an official transcript from KAFU.